Using the materials with multiple classes
As students will discover, recycling depends on everyone playing their part, and working together. That is why we hope that you and your colleagues will use these materials with many classes in your school. The Lessons and Project bring Active Citizenship to life, develop important interpersonal and workplace skills, and emphasise that recycling is a partnership between all individuals and many organisations. By using the materials across several classes, students can experience this for themselves.
To make the most of the opportunities in the Lessons, Assembly and Project, you can:
- combine data from lessons (e.g. Lesson 1) to let classes explore their peers' views
- allow friendship groups from different classes to work together in Lesson 5 to develop their action plans
- get groups from different classes to create foyer displays for different parts of the school
- expand the role-play in Lesson 4 by getting a whole class to consider each group, with selected student then representing their group in a 'public session' of the Chamber of Commerce, which other students can watch
- allow students from across key stage 3 or individual year groups to work in teams to create and deliver the Project, by allocating areas of the school, aspects of recycling, or functions (e.g. research, promotion, monitoring) to each group.